Time to Celebrate!

Yesterday was the Winter Solstice. For years I didn't even think about celebrating it. The first day of Winter? Blech! But then one year I did a speech for my communications class on the history of Christmas and found that its beginnings were really centered around the winter solstice. Pagans celebrated the solstice as the day the sun was finally reborn and the days would get longer. Christians decided that the Pagans were getting a little carried away and introduced the solstice as a time to celebrate the birth of the real light in our lives, the birth of Jesus Christ, our Saviour. (The winter solstice occurred on Dec. 25 on the calendars used by the Romans.)
Being one that hates winter and the short, dark, dreary days, I am celebrating that the short days are over!!! It will only get lighter and brighter! Yay!!!
Isn't it amazing that ALL things typify of Christ? In our darkest hours if we turn to Him, we will be filled with light.
Also, sometimes we want to know it all now! But we must learn line upon line, just as the days must slowly but surely gain a little more light each day until they find the full light of summer.
Yes, it is time to celebrate! Enjoy today!
By the way, I found this photo on the internet. It's not mine.

2 Comments:
the days are getting longer?! YAY!!!! Merry Christmas to ME!! Pretty pic by the way.
Very cool. :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home