The Adventures of Uncle Allen
I always loved to hear my dad tell about the adventures of his older brother Allen. He was quite the dare devil. Here's a three of the stories in my dad's own words:
"Whenever we did things, Allen would go first, then dare the rest of us. On one occasion, we were playing in the hay loft. We hung a rope from the ceiling rafter and placed a loop in the end so that we could swing from one side to the other. Then one day, we decided to swing out and put our foot up and see how close our butts could come to the floor, each having a turn. Allen being the most daring chose to come as close as he could, and ended up a little too close. With long slivers pinning his pants to the cheeks of his butt, we made a trip to A.Z. Tanner [the doctor.] The slivers had to be cut out. Some were 6 inches long and a quarter inch wide."
"Then there was the time when I was about 10 or 12 years old, we threw hay out from the hay loft door down to the ground outside, until we had it about eight feet high. Allen jumped first, out of the loft onto the piled hay, as I watched. He hit the hay and this flipped him over [like a springboard] and into the corral which was filled with wet sloppy manure, 6-12 inches deep, landing face first. Allen got really upset that I wouldn't follow and I made an exit down the ladder holding my sides with laughter. Allen wanted me to have the same fun experience and told me to go back up and try it. Mum made him strip and wash in the watering trough."
"Then there was the time Allen and I were lighting fire crackers in which there was always a dud. I told Allen to pick one up and puff on it to see if he could get it going again. He did exactly that. He puffed it a couple of times and BOOM!!! We were both old enough to know better, but... His lips turned inside out and swelled up three times their normal size. Another good lesson learned the hard way."
My dad and Uncle Allen were best friends. I had to wipe away the tears as I watched my dad saying good bye to his brother Allen. I don't think I've ever seen my dad cry before. Uncle Allen will be truly missed.
"Whenever we did things, Allen would go first, then dare the rest of us. On one occasion, we were playing in the hay loft. We hung a rope from the ceiling rafter and placed a loop in the end so that we could swing from one side to the other. Then one day, we decided to swing out and put our foot up and see how close our butts could come to the floor, each having a turn. Allen being the most daring chose to come as close as he could, and ended up a little too close. With long slivers pinning his pants to the cheeks of his butt, we made a trip to A.Z. Tanner [the doctor.] The slivers had to be cut out. Some were 6 inches long and a quarter inch wide."
"Then there was the time when I was about 10 or 12 years old, we threw hay out from the hay loft door down to the ground outside, until we had it about eight feet high. Allen jumped first, out of the loft onto the piled hay, as I watched. He hit the hay and this flipped him over [like a springboard] and into the corral which was filled with wet sloppy manure, 6-12 inches deep, landing face first. Allen got really upset that I wouldn't follow and I made an exit down the ladder holding my sides with laughter. Allen wanted me to have the same fun experience and told me to go back up and try it. Mum made him strip and wash in the watering trough."
"Then there was the time Allen and I were lighting fire crackers in which there was always a dud. I told Allen to pick one up and puff on it to see if he could get it going again. He did exactly that. He puffed it a couple of times and BOOM!!! We were both old enough to know better, but... His lips turned inside out and swelled up three times their normal size. Another good lesson learned the hard way."
My dad and Uncle Allen were best friends. I had to wipe away the tears as I watched my dad saying good bye to his brother Allen. I don't think I've ever seen my dad cry before. Uncle Allen will be truly missed.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home